Monday, December 17, 2007

The Fox News Commode Stall Wall that is the NOLA.com Comment Board


The website of the New Orleans Times Picayune is NOLA.com, and has an unmoderated comments column at the end of every article ... and thus has turned into the call in segment of a Rush Limbaugh radio show circa 1996. Lets lead off with the nuanced position of 'cjdla', who writes in responding to a story about a string of Cuckoo Nest-style escapes from a juvenile facility involving 15-17 year olds:

"I say when they catch them put a bullet in thier head., i guarantee one of these thugs will kill someone before they die"

At heart, cjdla is simply a proponent of "No Country For Old Men" style conflict resolution. Of course every Hannity needs a Colmes, or in this case a 'SPATZMAN', who advocates an alternative housing plan for the soon-to-be displaced homeless encampment near city hall:

"Ok enough is enough. Let Stacy Head take all those homeless people to her house. We need to move forward and not worry about a bunch of bums who have spent years milking the system. If Stacy can"t take them home this evening let the Fire Department give them a bath every morning . They will move.Spatzer"

Indeed, spoken elequently from years of personal experience by the Spatz-dawg. Gotta dig that Spatz-miester! This next poster, 'cardsup2', is a student from the prestigious School of Hard Knocks who only wishes his life was as awesome as displaced public housing residents:

"I'm a student making an income equal to the small percentage of previous public housing residents with jobs(which i believe was only under 30% of residents), and all I can say is this; i only wish I could send my rent bill, my power bill, my water bill to the city to pay. But I can't, i have to budget, I have to save, I have to practice smart spending (no $12,000 bling rims for my ride), and if I come up short, do I march on city hall demanding that the government foot my bill? Heck no, if I come up short on my rent, I get kicked out, if I come up short on my power, the lights go off... if you saw my white face marching on city hall, I would be laughed at and called "privelidged" even though I am far from it."

Shit, no bling rims? Budgets? Bills? When oh when will this war on the middle class end?

No comments: